Welcome to the Open Access - Background and Benefits course
Our courses are meant for thorough study and take our users 20 minutes to complete on average. Very knowledgeable people will be quicker while those who are confronted with the course subject for the first time might take a little longer.
Test yourself using the quiz! You may take the quiz before the course, and don’t worry if you fail your first try. Visit the course and come back to it. You can retake the quiz as often as you need.
And: If 60% or more of your answers are correct, you are awarded a certificate of completion which acknowledges your achievements.
Start learning now! (You can continue where you left off at any time to receive your credit.) You can use the links to the right to find advice on specific topics.
- What is green open access?
- What is gold open access?
- What is a fully or hybrid OA journal?
- What is an article-processing charge (APC)?
- If a journal levies an APC, who is responsible for arranging the payment?
- Why do I need to pay when I publish open access?
- Are open access publications available in print?
- What are the benefits of publishing open access?
- What is an open access mandate?
- Is there any funding available for open access?
- Are open access journals peer reviewed?
- Are open access journals tracked for impact factors and are they indexed in bibliographic databases?
- What is a Creative Commons license?
- Who retains the copyright?
- How to choose the right journal for your open access article
- What open access options does Springer offer?